Sunday, March 16, 2008

Erin go Braugh... Erin go Chocolate!

In honor of St. Patty's Day tomorrow, I decided to try my hand at what I spotted on Bakerella's blog... Cake Balls. These little puppies are bite size pieces of ecstasy! I decided to go with a chocolate cake mix and chocolate frosting... then dip them in vanilla chocolate (the green ones) and mint chocolate (the white ones). Oh yum-yum! The outside is a hard candy shell and when you bite into them, it's like a fudgey brownie consistency.

Added bonus of this recipe: you can switch up the flavors in a billion in one different ways. Kudos to Bakerella and this fabulous recipe!


Cake Balls

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 box cake mix of your choice (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
1 can frosting of your choice (16 oz.)
1 bag of chocolate meltable discs
wax paper

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can frosting. (I found it easy to use a spatula)
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (I used a cookie scoop and ended up with 60+)
4. Chill for several hours. (I left them in the fridge for 24 hours)
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)

I also only melt a few pieces of chocolate bark at a time because it starts to cool and thicken. It's easier to work with when it's hot.

I then drizzled more chocolate on top for added decoration. I melted some chocolate down, put into a sandwich sized Ziploc bag and snipped off the end. Instant pastry bag!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, nice job on these--way to act quick on what you saw on Bakerella's awesome blog too! These look so, so good. I love the idea that as a full cake it would be maybe too rich, but in bitesized pieces, very manageable. :-)

    ReplyDelete