Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A taste of Maryland!

Whenever we go out to eat and see Crabcakes on the menu, my Mom & I always giggle a bit and say "bet they aren't really Maryland Crabcakes!

Anyone who is from MD or who has had a true MD crabcake will understand where I'm coming from. In Maryland, crabcakes are an art unto themselves.... packed full of juicy crabmeat, lots of spicy Old Bay seasoning, and just a touch of "filler". Here in RI it's almost the opposite.... lots of "filler, little bits of crab (sometimes imitation... GASP!), and no Old Bay. It's a sad, sad thing!

However, fear not my friends... I have a amazing crabcake recipe that is my secret that I am willing to share with ya'll... and it is the easiest recipe to make. And the results are delicious! You can eat these with or without sauce... I usually serve them with cocktail sauce as well as tartar!

My biggest tip: don't skimp on good crabmeat. I'm not advocating that you steam your own crabs & pick the meat from that (far too much work!!). I usually head to the grocery store and get a can of fresh packed crabmeat claw meat. It's usually in the seafood section. The 1 lb. can is just enough for 7-8 palm sized crabcakes.

Enjoy! :)

Crabcakes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ingredients:
2 slices white bread, crusts removed and crumbled into small pieces
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning
2 teaspoons of fresh parsley, chopped
½ teaspoons yellow mustard
1 egg, beaten
1 pound lump crabmeat
Extra virgin olive oil (for browning)

Directions:
Mix bread, mayonnaise, Old Bay, parsley, mustard and egg in large bowl until well blended. Gently stir in crabmeat. Shape into patties of your desired size. Sprinkle each patty with a bit of Old Bay on each side for an additional hit of flavor.
2Broil 10 minutes without turning or fry until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with additional Old Bay, if desired.


Tartar sauce
Pickle relish
Mayonaise

Combine relish & may until you reach your desired flavor & amount to make.


Cocktail sauce
Horseradish
Ketchup
Hot sauce (option)

Combine horseradish & ketchup until you reach your desired flavor consistency. Add in a couple of dashes of hot sauce for an extra kick.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not from Maryland, but I've been there enough that I was throughly confused the first time I had a crabcake that was all breading with "crab flavor"

    ReplyDelete