Thursday, May 1, 2008

What to do when you're missing a key element of the recipe?

IMPROVISE!

So I was planning to make Giada's Mini Mascarpone Cupcakes today since I had 4 oz. of mascarpone cheese leftover from my White Russian Tiramisu (pictures to come soon!)... I went and picked up the other elements that I needed for Giada's recipe (strawberries, 10x sugar) and I assumed that I had a box of white cake mix here at home.

I get home from shopping and head to the pantry to grab the white cake mix... I'm looking and looking... no white cake mix in sight! There is red velvet and spice and yellow and lemon and carrot. You've got to be kidding me! Instead if panicking I decided that I would change the recipe up a bit (ie: omit the strawberry & 10x sugar glaze) and go with a lemon flavor w/ a drizzle of lemon icing.

Needless to say, these are little bites of joy! The lemon & the mascarpone marry for a sweet & tangy relationship that makes these cupcakes so very moist!

The moral of the story kids, don't assume you have your pantry fully stocked... and don't panic when faced with a recipe predicament!

Enjoy :)

Mini Lemon Marscapone Cupcakes
(Adapted from Giada DeLaurenitis recipe Mini Marscapone Cupcakes)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 ounces mascarpone cheese (about 1 cup), softened
1 egg white
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1/2 box lemon cake mix
1/2 cup water
Lemon frosting (pop a little bit into the microwave to thin it out before drizzling)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the mini tins with paper liners.
In a large bowl combine the mascarpone cheese, egg white and vegetable oil. Using a hand mixer, beat the ingredients until combined and creamy. Add the cake mix and water and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Fill the mini cups to just below the rim and bake until puffed and golden, about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly in the tin then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack.
Drizzle the top of the cupcakes with the slightly melted lemon frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment