Thursday, March 31, 2011

Proof that balsamic vinegar makes the world go round

Mr. TL has a love affair with balsamic vinegar. My love affair is with handbags and shoes. His is with a condiment. Whatever floats your boat!

Last week our local grocer had fresh Sockeye salmon on special and I knew I had to get my hands on some. Buttery, moist, delicious, and full of that rich salmon color, it was going to be a homerun with Mr. TL... that is if I could recreate a balsamic vinegar glaze that he had devoured on a slab of salmon while on our honeymoon!

With the aid of a recipe I adapted from AllRecipes.com, I'd like to think I did a pretty darn good job. The salmon was delicious - sweet and savory with a bit of that balsamic tang Mr. TL loves. It was the perfect accompaniment to my shallot and garlic sauteed green beans!

Enjoy :)


Balsamic Glazed Salmon
(adapted from allrecipes.com)



1 pound of salmon, cut to your liking
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons white wine
1 tablespoon honey
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Coat a small saucepan with non-stick cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook and stir garlic until soft, about 3 minutes. Mix in white wine, honey, balsamic vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for about 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
Arrange salmon on foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with balsamic glaze.
Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 14 minutes, or until flesh flakes easily with a fork. Brush fillets with remaining glaze, and season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment